…I should like to see a Christmas celebration with a Christmas tree, but the families who know me have invited me only for the New Year, either because they have no children or their children are already grown up. At home, the whole family partake of a good soup at midnight; and the children decorate a Belen with the image of the child Jesus, the animals, etc. This season is the most beautiful and pleasant we have in the Philippines… I have not called on Messrs, Jagor, and Virchow because in the past days I was still feeling somewhat sick and Mr. Moret was very busy. It snowed much today and it is still snowing, but the streets are full of people doing their Christmas shopping… I wish you and your esteemed family Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.
I am very sincerely yours,
P.S. Many thanks for the Schuchardt’s book.
Jose Rizal to his Austrian friend Ferdinand Blumentritt, letter written at Berlin on December 24th, 1886
A die-hard scholar’s simple joys :) Merry Christmas guys!
15 Notes/ Hide
- iarinthel reblogged this from indiohistorian
- iarinthel likes this
- fyfilipinopride reblogged this from indiohistorian
- fyfilipinopride likes this
- ellispost likes this
- ringjo reblogged this from indiohistorian
- ringjo likes this
- arkipelagirl likes this
- nooneinthisworld reblogged this from popcornbutterfly
- xhocoretto likes this
- theoldaparador likes this
- leeyagarrido likes this
- popcornbutterfly reblogged this from indiohistorian
- indiohistorian posted this