You have known that the commandments of God are different from those of the Priest, that holiness is not how long you have knelt, how long you have prayed, wearing large rosaries, grimy scapulars; it is with good conduct, pure intentions, and righteous thoughts. You also have known that goodness is not obeying any whim and wishes of an idol, but obedience by righteousness, because blind obedience is the source of crooked commandments, and in that we commit sin.
Jose Rizal (1861-1896), from his letter published in La Solidaridad entitled Sa Kababayang Dalaga sa Malolos (or To the Young Women of Malolos). A translation of mine from the original text.
Here’s the original text in old Tagalog:
Napagkilala din ninyo na ang utos ñg Dios ay iba sa utos ñg Parí, na ang kabanalan ay hindi ang matagal na luhod, mahabang dasal, malalaking kuintas, libaging kalmen, kundí ang mabuting asal, malinis na loob at matuid na isip. Napagkilala din ninyo na dí kabaitan ang pagka masunurin sa anomang pita at hiling ñg nagdidiosdiosan, kundi ang pagsunod sa katampata’t matuid, sa pagka’t ang bulag na pagsunod ay siyang pinagmumul’an ñg likong paguutos, at sa bagay na ito’y pawang nagkakasala.
32 Notes/ Hide
- charli-mcda reblogged this from indiohistorian
- imbraveheart reblogged this from indiohistorian
- imbraveheart likes this
- lonely-satellite likes this
- thelifeiswonderfulguy likes this
- superlovelove likes this
- yuumegari reblogged this from damnn-unf-son
- yuumegari likes this
- kimiohosokawa likes this
- thirdworldsturmunddrang said:just a question… is Rizal an agnostic or did he died as a Catholic?
- krissylovestodream likes this
- vebbon likes this
- kwinarbs reblogged this from indiohistorian
- whimsywindy reblogged this from biyuti
- kynodontas likes this
- joonpill likes this
- kagey likes this
- princessboco reblogged this from graceistumblng
- tarandaniel likes this
- anitsirc likes this
- jayashkal likes this
- mosskatetoe likes this
- damnn-unf-son reblogged this from indiohistorian
- graceistumblng reblogged this from indiohistorian
- graceistumblng likes this
- wronggrammargod likes this
- rafotografia likes this
- indiohistorian posted this